Strawberries Romanoff is an easy and light dessert featuring sweet summer berries with a creamy, luscious topping. By replacing sour cream with plain non-fat Greek yogurt, it is healthier. This recipe is the perfect ending for a weeknight meal, a casual get-together, or an elegant meal.
Strawberries Romanoff is one of my go-to desserts in the summer. There is nothing better than fresh Oregon strawberries. They are delicious and eaten fresh without embellishments, but I love making this simple topping because it is easy and takes the berries to the next level.
I first ate Strawberries Romanoff on a date with my boyfriend (now husband) over 35+ years ago.
We met in high school and, of course, could not afford to go to fancy restaurants. However, we would save money for special occasions and treat ourselves to a nice dinner.
On one of those dates, we had Strawberries Romanoff. It was one of the best desserts I had ever eaten. I love it! Years later, I craved it and created this healthier version.
Healthier Strawberries Romanoff
Traditionally the topping is made with sour cream and whipped cream.
I wanted to make it healthier by lowering the fat; therefore, I replaced the sour cream with non-fat Greek yogurt.
I also wanted less sugar, so I decreased the amount of sugar in this recipe.
The result is a creamy topping that pairs beautifully with strawberries.
- Fresh strawberries-The best berries to use are freshly grown strawberries from a farmers market or local farm stand. If they are not available, purchase strawberries from your grocery. Since these berries often lack flavor, sprinkle cut berries with 1 teaspoon of sugar (per cup of strawberries) and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This will help bring out the flavor in the berries.
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt-Any brand of non-fat plain Greek yogurt will work in this recipe. I would not recommend using flavored Greek yogurt because it has added sugar.
- Heavy Cream-Use heavy or whipping cream for the topping. Do not use pre-whipped cream in a can because it will not hold up. You could use a thawed frozen non-dairy topping, but they contain many artificial ingredients and sugar. Therefore I would not recommend using them.
- Brown sugar-Light brown sugar works the best. Dark brown sugar would be fine, but it will have a more robust flavor.
- Vanilla-Use pure vanilla, not imitation.
- Brandy or Grand Mariner -(optional)-For adults only. Leave it out if you are serving the dessert to children.
How to make Strawberries Romanoff
Combine the yogurt and brown sugar. Add vanilla, brandy, or grand mariner.
Place the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer. Alternatively, you can use an electric hand mixer or whip the cream by hand using a wire whisk.
Beat the cream until it is slightly thickened. Add granulated sugar to the whipped cream and beat until firm peaks form. The amount of time this takes varies quite a bit between various creams, between 3-6 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it so it does not over whipped and turn into butter.
Add the yogurt mixture to the whipped cream. Gently fold the yogurt mixture into the whipped cream until it combines completely.
Spoon topping on the strawberries. If you wish, garnish with mint leaves. Enjoy!!
- Strawberries Romanoff looks best served in a glass container such as a glass bowl, wine glass, small juice glass, or small canning jars.
- The strawberries can be combined with the topping.
- Make a parfait by layering the strawberries and topping them.
- Serve Strawberries Romanoff with Fast Roast Chicken or Austrian Beef Goulash
Tips for Success
- For best results, place the bowl and wire whisk (affiliate link) in the refrigerator and chill for 15 minutes. This will help whip the cream faster, resulting in a lighter cream.
- Closely watch the cream when it is in the mixer. It can easily turn into butter if it is overwhipped.
- The dessert can be made early in the day or a few hours before it is served. Be sure to chill the topping and the cut strawberries if you prepare it ahead of time. When you are ready to serve the dessert, distribute the strawberries in serving dishes and then top them with chilled cream.
The topping is best eaten the day it is made. It can be prepared early in the day and kept under refrigeration.
Store leftover strawberries and cream separately in a covered container in the refrigerator. It should be eaten the next day.
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you! ❤️Print
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
A quick and easy dessert that is especially delicious with fresh summer strawberries. A perfect ending to a special meal or a casual get-together!
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla, brandy, or grand mariner
- ½ cup heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups halved, quartered or sliced strawberries
- Combine yogurt and brown sugar. Add vanilla, brandy, or grand mariner in a bowl.
- Stir the mixture until the brown sugar has dissolved, 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream until it starts to thicken. Add sugar and whip until thick.
- Fold yogurt mixture into the whipped cream and combine well.
- Place ½ cup strawberries into serving dishes. Top with ¼ cup of the topping/cream mixture. Enjoy!
- The heavy cream whips best if the bowl and wire whisk have been chilled in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Be sure to closely watch the cream when it is in the mixer. It can easily turn into butter if it is over-whipped.
- The dessert can be made ahead of time. Chill the topping. When ready to serve, distribute the strawberries in serving dishes and then top them with chilled cream.
- This recipe is adapted from Genius Kitchen.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 18.5 g
- Sodium: 21.5 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.4 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 34.9 mg
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavored to be as accurate as possible.
Excellent dessert for all year round. Very easy to prepare and enjoyed by my family very much. Thank you Gitta.
What a nice summer dessert that’s not too heavy!