This is a thick and flavorful meat sauce. An added bonus it’s easy to make!
I love a thick meat sauce for spaghetti. One that will coat the noodles and not look watery. If that is the kind of sauce you like, this one is for you! When my son was in high school, he helped me to cook family meals. He found a recipe for meat sauce from Cooks.com and it was delicious! It had the perfect taste and consistency. When he went to college and I started making it, I tweaked the recipe and these are the results. My favorite way to eat this sauce is on Roasted Spaghetti Squash. Give it a try and I hope you like it as much as my family does!
This is a thick and flavorful meat sauce. An added bonus it's easy to make!
- ¼ cup olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 pound ground turkey ((ground beef can be substituted))
- 1 pound ground turkey Italian sausage ((Pork Italian sausage can be substituted))
- ½ cup chopped onions, (¼" cubes)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green or red chopped pepper, (diced into ¼" cubes)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 each bay leaves
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- ¾ cup water
- Pour oil in a dutch oven (or pan that can hold 3-4 quarts of liquid). Heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and turkey Italian sausage. Stir the meat with a wooden spoon to break it into smaller pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions, garlic, and diced peppers. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Season sauce with Worcestershire sauce, oregano leaves, sweet basil, thyme leaves, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine and water into the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add enough water to achieve the consistency you like.
This recipe is adapted from Cooks.com.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 307.9 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg