This sweet corn and tomato salad with creamy feta and sweet basil is made in under 15 minutes and tastes amazing! The ingredients are in season during the summer, but you can also find them year-round. This colorful salad is light and refreshing and perfect for backyard get-togethers or weeknight dinners.
This corn salad is so easy, and it's hard to believe that only 7 ingredients are used to make this colorful, healthy and delicious salad.
Summer is a great time to make this salad when corn, tomatoes, and basil are in season. However, the ingredients are usually available year-round in your local grocery store so that you can make it throughout the year.
Corn and tomato salad is a colorful vegetable salad which makes it a great addition to family gatherings, but I bet it will be on your weekly salad rotation.
Frozen or Fresh Corn
To keep things simple and save time, this recipe uses frozen sweet corn instead of fresh corn.
Don't get me wrong, fresh corn cut off the cobb is delicious too, but it takes too much time to cut the kernels from the corn. Therefore, for this recipe, I like to use frozen corn.
Did you know that frozen corn is made from corn picked at the height of ripeness and then frozen within hours from when it is harvested? That is why it tastes great in this salad.
Easy Grocery List of Ingredients
- Frozen sweet corn-frozen keeps it simple.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Feta cheese-adds nice salty creaminess.
- Fresh basil-don't leave this out. It adds great flavor and aroma to the salad.
- Fresh lemon Juice, olive oil and kosher salt make a light vineagirette to finish off the salad
What's great about this salad is you can make it in under 15 minutes and there is no cooking involved!
Step 1-Thaw Corn
Use any of the following methods to thaw the corn:
- Place the frozen corn in a microwave safe container and microwave the corn for 1-2 minutes on high. - or -
- Place the corn in a colander and run hot water over it for 2 minutes until the corn is thawed. Drain the corn. - or -
- Thaw corn in a bowl on the counter for 30 minutes or until it has thawed. - or -
- The corn can also be thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
- Step 2-Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half length-wise.
- Step 3-Wash the basil and dry with a paper towel. Slice into thin strips.
- Step 4-Crumble the feta cheese.
- Step 5-Add the lemon juice
- Step 6-Add the oil and salt
- Step 7-Toss the salad
Don't miss this tip
Only use SWEET corn for this recipe. It makes all the difference in the salad. If you have access to shopping at Costco, they carry a delicious frozen sweet corn.
Canned corn would not be a good substitution because it has been cooked.
No, the salad is a fresh salad so you only need to thaw the frozen corn.
In a pinch, you can substitute dried basil, but the salad will not be as flavorful.
Yes, this salad can be made early in the day. However, I would recommend adding the basil right before serving.
Yes, the salad is gluten-free.
It is a salty, soft cheese made from sheep's milk or a combination of sheep's and goat's milk. You can find it in your grocery store. It comes packaged either pre-crumbled or in a block in airtight containers. Sometimes you will find it in a salty brine.
Yes, you can substitute either champagne or red wine vinegar for the lemon juice. I would recommend adding a pinch of sugar to offset the acidity.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Try some of the following variations to customize the salad.
- Add ¼ cup diced red or green onion.
- Add ¼ cup diced red or green bell pepper.
- For a bit of heat, add ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Substitute goat cheese for the feta cheese.
What to serve with the corn and tomato salad
Enjoy this salad for a light lunch with a fresh baguette or your favorite breadsticks.
For a delicious dinner, serve corn and tomato salad with grilled chicken, fish, or pan-seared chicken or steaks. My family loves it as a side with hamburgers and hot dogs.
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you!Print
This fresh, colorful, and healthy salad is packed with flavor. It pairs well with pan-seared or grilled meats as well as salmon. This salad is light and refreshing and perfect for backyard get-togethers or weeknight dinners.
- 16 ounces (about 3 cups) frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup (5 ½ ounces) whole cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup (.25 ounces) fresh basil
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Thaw corn by using one of the following methods: in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, running the corn under hot water in a colander, leaving the corn at room temperature for 30 minutes, or thawing the corn overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place corn in a medium mixing bowl.
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them in half lengthwise. Add to the corn.
- Stack the basil leaves and slice into thin strips. Add the basil to the corn.
- Crumbled the feta cheese and place it on the corn.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Toss to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator until serving.
1. The salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days.
Keywords: #healthy, #corn, #salad, #cornandtomatosalad,
For your convenience, there are links to Amazon for equipment that I use to make this recipe. If you purchase the equipment, I will receive a small commission. For more information, please read my policy.