This Tomato Soup recipe is full of tomato flavor and made with simple pantry ingredients. It is a comforting soup that is perfect for a cold day. Pair it with grilled cheese or cheese toast for a delicious and filling meal.
One of my favorite meals, when I was in elementary school, was tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I loved to dunk my sandwich into the soup. The soup and sandwich combination was so comforting.
Back then, I liked the canned tomato soup. But now, I prefer making tomato soup because it is so easy and does not have any preservatives.
Since it is made with pantry ingredients and only takes 20 minutes to prepare, it is one of my go-to soups to make.
This homemade soup is:
- Made with easy to find ingredients.
- Fresher tasting than canned soup.
- Healthy- it is low in calories, high in potassium, and vitamins C, K, and A.
- It is easy and fast to make.
- Tomatoes (and their juice)-San Marzano tomatoes are full of flavor and work the best for this recipe. I normally use whole tomatoes but crushed will also work well.
- Onions-This recipe calls for 2 cups of diced onions. I use sweet yellow onions, but any onion will work. Don't skimp on the onions, they add a mellow flavor that tones down the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Chicken Broth-I like to use low sodium chicken broth so that I can control the amound of salt in the soup. You can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. If you have homemade chicken broth use it because it takes the taste of the soup to the next level.
- Olive oil-Is used to saute the onions but you can use canola oil or any oil of your choice.
- Sugar-The sugar helps combat the acidity of the tomatoes.
- The rest of the ingredeints are spices and sesaonings, basil, oregano, garlic powder that add flavor to the soup.
- Red pepper flakes are optional but I like just a touch of them in the soup.
Let's make this super easy soup
- Saute the diced onions.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the soup.
How to blend soup
The soup can be blended using two different methods.
1. Emersion Blender
I prefer to use an emersion blender because there is less clean-up.
IMPORTANT: When blending hot liquids, you have to be careful not to burn yourself. The space between the hot liquid and the lid builds up the pressure so that when you turn on the blender, the force can cause the cover to blow off.
To prevent this from happening, follow these steps:
- Fill the blender jar about ⅓ full. Do not fill it more than ½ full.
- Remove the center piece, the feeder cap of the lid.
- Place the lid securly on the blender (as pictured above)
- Cover the lid with a kitchen towel (as pictured above).
- Hold the lid on securly.
- Turn on blender at the lowest speed.
Following these steps will prevent you from getting burned and having tomato soup all over your kitchen.
Don't miss this tip
To prevent the soup from tasting metallic, use a non-reactive pot such as stainless steel, enamel-coated cast iron, or glass. Avoid using a pot made of aluminum, cast iron, or copper.
How to make cream of tomato soup
If you would like a creamier soup, add ½ cup heavy whipping cream after blending. Don't let the cream boil, or it will curdle. The cream will add luxurious texture and a smooth finish to the soup.
Don't cook the soup in a reactive pot (see tip above). You might also need to add more sugar or some cream.
Yes, use 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil for the dried basil.
Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
I would not recommend using either tomato paste or tomato sauce.
Yes, this is a perfect soup to make ahead of time. The flavor of the soup gets even better if you refrigerate it overnight.
You can use 2 bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water in place of the 2 cups of broth.
How to serve tomato soup
There are so many options of what to serve with tomato soup. Below are just a few.
- Top the soup with storebought or homemade croutons. Serve extra on the side to nibble on.
- Crackers such as Goldfish crackers or Annie's Cheddar Bunnies.
- Grilled cheese sandwich the classic pairing with tomato soup. So comforting! Try sourdough bread with Havarti cheese. Yum! The traditional grilled cheese with American cheese is also a winner!
- Cheesy bread - slice a baguette in half lengthwise. Toast it under the broiler, top it with your favorite cheese and then put it back under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- A side salad like a Caesar salad or Apple Cranberry Salad would make a nice lunch or light dinner.
Store the soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
The soup can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Try some of the following ideas
- Add cheese tortelllini and cook the soup an additional 2 minutes until the tortelini is cooked. This is one of my favorite additions to tomato soup.
- Once the soup is done add cooked orzo pasta to the soup.
- For a creamier soup, once the soup is blended, add ½ cup heavy whipping cream. It tastes so luxurious!
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you!Print
This tomato soup is easy, healthy, and delicious! It will warm you up on a cold day. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich or cheesy bread, and you have the perfect cozy meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions, about 1 medium onion 3" in diameter
- 1 28-ounce can whole or crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, add oil in a non-reactive pot such as stainless steel, enamel-coated cast-iron, or glass pot.
- When it shimmers, add the diced onions. Cook for about 4 minutes, occasionally stirring until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices.
- Add the remaining ingredients, the chicken broth, basil, oregano, garlic powder, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes if using. Stir together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the temperature. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a blender or immersion blender.
- Serve soup in mugs or bowls.
- Be sure to use a non-reactive pan for cooking the soup like stainless steel, an enamel-coated cast iron pan, or glass.
- For creamy tomato soup, add ½ cup heavy whipping cream when the soup is done. Be sure to take the pan off the heat so that the cream does not curdle.
- Leftover soup can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Nutrition facts do not include heavy cream. If you use the heavy cream, the calories per serving are 202.
- Serving Size: 1.25 cups
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 581.5 mg
- Fat: 13.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: soup, tomato soup, healthy tomato soup
There are links to Amazon for equipment that I use to make this recipe for your convenience. If you purchase the equipment, I'll receive a small commission. For more information, please read my policy.