This Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette pairs beautifully with so many dishes! Arugula is a delicious addition to your salad rotation. Serve it with grilled steak, chicken, pizza, or pair it with an egg & cheese casserole for a light lunch.
If you are looking for a quick and tasty salad, this arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette is perfect. I make it every Friday night, which is pizza night in our house! The peppery taste of the arugula and fresh lemon vinaigrette is just the right accompaniment with pizza.
For color and an added kick, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on the salad after you have tossed it with the vinaigrette. If you don't like extra spice, leave it off. It is still a delicious salad without the red pepper flakes.
Why you will love this recipe
- Few ingredients-5 to be exact, and two of which are salt and pepper.
- You use simple everyday ingredients that you can easily find in your grocery store.
- It takes only a few minutes to make.
- The combination of peppery arugula and fresh lemon juice in the vinaigrette is absolutely delicious. I think I am obsessed with this salad!
Let's make the vinaigrette
Grocery List of Ingredients for Lemon Vinaigrette
- Lemon juice-fresh squeezed lemon juice is best for this vinaigrette. It only takes a minute to squeeze the juice from a fresh lemon, and it is well worth the effort.
- Olive oil adds flavor to the vinaigrette. In a pinch, you can use vegetable or canola oil.
- Kosher salt adds flavor. If you use fine-grain table salt, cut the amount in half.
- Coarse ground black pepper adds flavor. Also, the larger chunks of pepper you get from a grinder are a nice addition to the vinaigrette.
- Red pepper flakes (optional)-If you like a little heat, add red pepper flakes. I like the kick they give to the salad, and they also add a bit of color.
Two options to make the vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until they emulsified (well combined).
- Place all the ingredients in a jar.
- Cover the jar with a lid and shake the jar until the vinaigrette is combined.
- If the salad is too tangy for your taste, add 1-2 tablespoons additional olive oil.
Now let's make the salad!
Ingredients for the salad
- Baby arugula-Buy baby arugula. The leaves are smaller and more tender than the large leaf arugula. Most come pre-washed, which saves time!
- Lemon vinaigrette-see process above.
How to make the salad
- Add lemon vinaigrette to arugula and toss.
- Sprinkle top with red pepper flakes (optional).
Enjoy! This salad is delicious!
Don't miss these tips
- To save time, make the vinaigrette the day before or early in the day.
- Important! Toss the vinaigrette with the salad right before serving so that the lettuce stays crisp and not be soggy.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of dressing in order not to over dress the lettuce. Otherwise the arugula leaves will still together and the salad will not be tasty.
Common questions for this recipe
It is always best to wash the arugula with a salad spinner . However, baby arugula often comes pre-washed.
Yes, it is high in antioxidants that may protect you from heart disease and cancer.
You can purchase baby arugula year-round in the produce section of your grocery store. It is often prewashed and in bags or boxes.
Technically, arugula is not lettuce. It is part of the mustard family but not as bitter.
Refrigerate the vinaigrette up to one week in the refrigerator
Because the olive oil will solidify slightly in the refrigerator, remove the vinaigrette from the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before using it. Whisk it right before tossing it with the arugula.
Leftover dressed arugula will need to be tossed because the lettuce leaves will be soggy. Therefore, only dress as much arugula that will be eaten so that you do not have to toss out any leftovers.
- If you don't have fresh lemons, you can use apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon juice.
- In a pinch, use vegetable oil or canola oil in place of olive oil. The vinaigrette will not be as flavorful, but it works.
Variations and Additions
This recipe is a great base and there are many ways to modify it. Try one or more of the following:
- Cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- Grated or sliced Parmesan cheese
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Diced roasted beets
- Sliced or diced Avacado
- Toasted pine nuts
- Dried cranberries
This salad makes a great side dish for the following:
- Any Italian meal such as lasagna
- Grilled Chicken or other grilled meats and fish
- Roasted Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken
- For a light, lunch serve it with this Egg and Cheese Casserole
Vinaigrette Leftovers Ideas
Leftover lemon vinaigrette can be used in several ways.
- Pour it over baked for grilled fish such as cod or salmon
- Use it as a marinade for grilled or baked chicken
- Drizzle it over roasted asparagus
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you!Print
This delicious and easy arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette is ready in minutes. The peppery arugula is the perfect side for Friday night pizza, grilled meats, or a light lunch with a frittata or quiche.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, juice from 1 medium-size lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 handfuls (about 5 cups) baby arugula
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon vinaigrette
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients, except for the red pepper flakes, into a bowl or glass jar.
- Whisk or, if using a jar, shake 1 minute or until the vinaigrette is emulsified (thoroughly combined.
- If the lettuce has not been washed, rinse it in a colander and spin it dry in a salad spinner . If you do not have a salad spinner , lay the damp arugula on paper towels and blot dry as much as possible.
- Place lettuce in a serving bowl.
- Right before serving, drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of lemon vinaigrette on the arugula and toss until combined. The salad should be lightly dressed to prevent the arugula from getting soggy and clumping together.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (optional).
- Toss lemon vinaigrette on the arugula right before serving to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Do not store leftover dressed salad because the salad will be soggy and not appetizing.
Keywords: #salad, #argula salad, #side dish #lemon vinaigrette
For your convenience, there are links to Amazon for equipment that I use to make this recipe. If you purchase the equipment, I will receive a small commission. For more information, please read my policy.