This pasta sauce with ground turkey meat is a thick and flavorful meat sauce. It only needs to simmer for 20 minutes and is ready to serve. Perfect for weeknight meals!
- 1/4 cup olive vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey ((ground beef can be substituted))
- 1 pound ground turkey Italian sausage (Pork Italian sausage can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup diced green, orange, yellow, or red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 each fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- Pour oil into a Dutch oven (or pan holding 3-4 quarts of liquid)—heat oil over medium heat until it is warm. Add ground turkey and turkey Italian sausage. Stir the meat with a wooden spoon to break it into smaller pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink and the liquid is gone, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, and diced bell peppers. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Season sauce with Worcestershire sauce, oregano leaves, sweet basil, thyme leaves, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine, and water into the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add enough water to achieve your desired consistency if the sauce is too thick.
- Chicken broth or water can be substituted for the red wine.
- This recipe is adapted from Cooks.com.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 446.3 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Protein: 18.4 g
- Cholesterol: 57.6 mg
Keywords: pasta sauce, spaghetti meat sauce, turkey meat sauce