Now you can make Queso (cheese dip) that you get at Mexican food restaurants at home. Queso is the perfect dip with tortilla chips or if you want a healthier snack, dip raw veggies like broccoli or cauliflower florets instead of the chips.
Queso and tortilla chips are a favorite family appetizer at our house. Over the years, we perfected the recipe, and this is hands down the best Queso ever!
The dip is creamy and has a mild kick to it. We like it thick so that we get a lot of cheese on the chips. However, if you prefer a thinner dip, add additional chicken broth until you get the consistency that works for you.
Queso is easy to make. Saute onions and a can of Rotel tomatoes until the liquid is almost absorbed. Add the Velveeta cheese. Once the cheese has melted, add the Monterrey Jack Cheese, spices, and enough chicken broth until it is the consistency you want for dipping.
It is a delicious snack or appetizer any time of the year. Make enough for your family or a crowd.
Why I love this recipe
- It is easy to make-always important in a recipe!
- Everyone loves it.
- The queso is creamy with just a little bit of spice.
- It is perfect for so many occasions like game night, a birthday party, happy hour or a back yard BBQ.
Easy Ingredient List
- Velveeta-becuase of its melting attributes, this cheese ensures a smooth and creamy dip.
- Monterey Jack Cheese balances the flavor of the Velveeta.
- Diced Rotel Tomatoes-I normally use the original flavor however if you want a dip with more heat, purchase the hot Rotel tomatoes. Canned Rotel tomtoes are normally found in your grocery store with canned tomtoes or in the Mexican food aisle. They are essential to this recipe so don't leave them out!
- Onions-add nice flavor. In a pinch you can substitute 1 teaspoon onion powder. If you don't like onions, leave them out of the recipe.
- Chili powder and cumin are added to provide additional flavor.
- Chicken Broth-the chicken broth thins the cheese mixture. Add enough to get the consitancy you like for dipping your tortilla chips.
Let's make this dip
Prepare the ingredients
- Dice the onions.
- Cube the Velveeta Cheese
- Shredd the Monterray Jack Cheese
- Cook the onions and tomtoes until most of the liquid has evaporated and the onions are transluscent.
- Add the velvetta cheese
- Once velvetta cheese has melted, add the Monterey Jack cheese, chili powder and cumin.
- Add enough broth to get the desired consitancy.
Serve with tortilla chips. To lighten up this appetizer, serve it with veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower.
Enjoy this tasty dip!
Don't miss these tips
- Don;t use pre-grated cheese, it won't melt due to the anti-caking addatives in the cheese. Instaed, purchase a block of Monterey Jack cheese and grate it on a box grater or in a food processor.
- Keep the queso warm in a small crockpot set on the lowest setting possible.
Cheddar cheese does not melt in the same way as Velveeta. I would not recommend replacing cheddar cheese for Velveeta.
Yes, you can leave the onions out of the recipe if you do not like them.
Absolutely! Check out the recipe card to adjust the quantity.
The queso dip is delicious on its own. However, the following toppings take it to the next level. Try one or more of them to change it up.
- Diced onions
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Jalapeno slices
- Diced avacodo or guacamole
- Taco meat
Store the dip for up to 3-5 days covered in the refrigerator.
To reheat, place the cheese dip in the microwave. Stir every 20 seconds. Heat it to 165°F. If the dip is too thick, thin it with chicken broth, whole milk, or heavy cream.
To make this vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Additional Serving Suggestions
- Drizzle cheese sauce on nachos.
- Top tacos or fajitas with cheese dip.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons cheese sauce on a warm flour tortilla and roll it up! This is a favorite way to eat it in our family.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked pasta such as elbow macaroni. This makes a delicous macaroni and cheese with a little kick!
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you!Print
This Queso Dip is the best! It is creamy, smooth, and has the perfect level of spice. Serve it with tortilla chips, or if you want a healthier option try broccoli or cauliflower florets.
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 pound Velveeta, cubed
- ½ pound Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾-1 cup chicken broth
- Combine diced onions and Rotel tomatoes in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the onions are translucent. Stirring occasionally
- Add the cubes of Velvetta. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the cheese has melted. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the grated Monterey Jack cheese, cumin, and chili powder and cook until the cheese has melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add ¾ to 1 cup of chicken broth until the dip is the desired consistency.
- Be sure not to use pre-grated cheese because it will not melt correctly and add a grainy texture which is not desirable.
- Keep warm in a small crockpot.
Keywords: #appetizer #cheesedip #easy #queso
For your convenience, there are links to Amazon for equipment that I use to make this recipe. If you purchase the equipment, I will receive a small commission. For more information, please read my policy.