Roasted delicata squash is easy to prepare and super delicious. The texture is smooth and creamy. Roasting brings out the sweetness of this tasty fall vegetable. The best part is that you can eat the skin so you don't have to peel it. Roasted delicata squash is perfect for a festive fall meal and simple enough for a weeknight dinner.
Have you tried Delicata Squash yet? If not, you must give this fall squash a try especially if you like to eat squash but don't like the hassle of preparing most of the varieties. It tastes slightly sweet and the best way to cook it is to roast it.
Until a few years ago, I had never heard of delicata squash but I am so happy I discovered it and you will be too! Unlike most winter squash, delicata squash has thin skin that you can eat therefore there is no need to peel it.
Another great thing about delicata squash is that it is easy to cut it into chunks or slices. Be sure to use a sharp, sturdy chef's knife and it will be easily sliced.
What does delicata squash look like?
Delicata squash is a winter squash that is long and cylindrical in shape. It is yellow and has orange or green stripes that run lengthwise.
In the middle are seeds and the inside flesh is yellow.
They are best early to late fall.
Easy Grocery List of Ingredients
It takes only 3 ingredients to make roasted delicata squash.
- Delicata Squash-choose one that is heavy for its size. Most of them weigh around 1 pound.
- Olive oil-feel free to use your favorite oil.
- Kosher salt-any kind of salt will work. However, if you use a salt that has a fine grind, cut the amount of salt in half.
How to make roast delicata squash
- Wash the outside of the squash and cut it half.
- Slice each half legnthwise.
- Remove the seeds.
- Cut halves into ½ inch slices.
- Season the slices with oil and salt.
- Lay slices on a foil lined sheet pan (affiliate link) and roast in 425°F oven.
Don't miss these tips
- Leave at least ½ inch space between the squash slices so they roast and don't steam.
- Cook the delicata squash at high oven temperature.
- Use a sheet pan or a pan with low sides otherwise deeper baking pans will trap the steam and the squash will be soggy.
Frequetnly Asked Questions
Store it at room temperature for 4-6 weeks. The warmer the room the shorter amount of time that you can store the squash.
Yes, dice it and put it in a freezer bag for 3-6 months.
Yes. If the seeds are slimy and not cream or white in color, toss the squash.
Yes, the skin is thin and edible.
No, you do not need to peel the squash. The skin is edible.
Yes, here is a great recipe for toasted delicata seeds.
Yes, they are delicious served at room temperature.
Store roasted delicata squash in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
You can add any of the following to enhance the flavor of roasted squash:
- Ground Cumin-sprinkle ½ teaspoon on the squash before roasting.
- Red pepper flakes add a kick to the squash. Season to taste.
- Ground cinnamon-add ½ teaspoon on the squash before baking.
- After roasting, drizzle the squash with 3 teaspoons of maple syrup.
Need ideas what to serve with delicata squash?
This squash is delicious with Fast Roasted Chicken, Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner, and is the perfect side dish for a Thanksgiving buffet.
If you need a healthy, low-calorie snack, roasted delicata squash is perfect.
I hope you try this recipe! Please rate it and comment below. I love hearing from you! ❤️Print
The Best Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasting/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Roasted delicata squash is a quick and tasty side dish to prepare in the fall. The squash is slightly sweet and pairs well with chicken, beef, or pork. You can also eat them as a snack. The best part is that they don't need to be peeled and they are easy to cut.
- 1 Delicata squash (should weigh about 1 pound)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼-½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or spray with cooking spray.
- Wash the squash with a vegetable brush under cool running water.
- Cut the squash in half width-wise and then cut the halves lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds with a metal spoon or, if you have one, a grapefruit spoon.
- Slice the squash into ½ inch slices. They will look like half-moons.
- Place the squash in a bowl or on the sheet pan. Dizzle it with olive oil and season the squash with salt. Toss well.
- Distribute the slices on the sheet pan, making sure to leave at least ½ inch space between the pieces.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and roast for 8-10 minutes. Using tongs, flip the slices over and roast another 5-8 minutes until the pieces are lightly browned (caramelized) and are easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
1. Be sure not to crowd the squash slices on the pan, or they will steam instead of roasting.
- Serving Size: servings
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 155 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: delicata squash, roasted vegetable, fall vegetable, festive meal, thanksgiving
There are links to Amazon for equipment that I use to make this recipe for your convenience. If you purchase the equipment, I'll receive a small commission. For more information, please read my policy.
My kids usually won't eat squash, but they loved this recipe for delicata squash. It's a winner!