Delicious, gluten and dairy-free cookie
- 3 egg whites, (large eggs)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar ((250 grams) You will need additional powdered sugar for rolling out the cookies. )
- 3 cups finely ground almonds ((300 grams) I use whole, raw, skin on almonds and grind them in a food processor )
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel (from one lemon)
- 1-2 tsbp dark rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment beat until frothy.
- Add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time to the egg whites. Beat until they are thick and glossy (about 6 minutes).
- Set aside 5 tablespoons of the meringue. This will be used to "frost" the cookies before they are baked and creates the "white" topping on the cookies.
- Remove bowl from the mixer. Fold in almonds, cinnamon, and lemon peel and rum if you are using it.
- The dough will be very thick. If it is too thin, add more ground nuts. Place dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour. The dough can be rolled immediately, but I have found that chilling it makes it easier to manage.
- When you are ready to roll out the dough, sprinkle powdered sugar (not flour) on a cutting board . Sprinkle top of the dough with powdered sugar. Roll out the dough to 1/4". Dip the cookie cutter in water and cut out cookies. The scraps can be formed into a ball and re-rolled again to make more cookies. Be sure the cookie-cutter corners don't have any dough in them or your stars will not have distinct points when they are baked.
I normally use two different sizes of star cookie cutters; a 1-1/2" and 2" star. I think the different sizes look nice on a cookie plate.
- Place cookies on the prepared sheet pan . Using a pastry brush frost the cookies with the reserved meringue.
- Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes. Remove cookies to a cooling rack . The cookies will firm as they cool. It is best to wait 24 hours before you eat them so that the flavors can develop. Store the cookies in an airtight container. They can be stored up to 3 weeks but at my house, they never last that long!
- Serving Size: cookie
- Calories: 42
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 3.3 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 8.2 mg
Keywords: Zimsterne, Cinnamon Stars