This salad is tangy and crunchy which makes it the perfect accompaniment to roasted or grilled meats.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 head red cabbage, about one pound
- 1/4 medium onion (should yield 1/2 cup finely chopped onion)
- In a measuring cup or mixing bowl combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Wash cabbage head and remove outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the white core.
- Shred the cabbage with a food processor . Use the largest size shredding blade. Alternatively, slice the quarters into very thin strips, (1/8").
- Place shredded cabbage in a mixing bowl.
- Finely dice the onion. Add it to the red cabbage and toss to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette on cabbage. Toss until vinaigrette is evenly distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. The salad can be eaten sooner but the longer it sits the better it gets!
- The red cabbage should be firm and heavy.
- Make the salad several hours before you plan to eat it. The longer it marinates the better it will taste.
- If you do not have a food processor , be sure the cut the cabbage into very thin strips. First, cut the cabbage into quarters, then remove the white core, and finally slice cabbage quarters into thin strips.