I love these sweet and spicy pecans! They are fast to make and are a delicious and easy appetizer. Add them to cheese trays or salads. Why buy store-bought when these homemade spiced pecans are less expensive and taste better. Be careful they can be addictive!
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line 12-inch x 18-inch sheet pan with parchment or spray it with pan release.
- Whisk egg whites until they are frothy.
- Add the sugar, spices, and salt to the egg whites. Stir until they are well combined.
- Add the pecans to the egg white mixture. Stir coating the pecans entirely with the egg white mixture.
- Place the pecans on the prepared sheet pan and spread them out in a single layer.
- Bake 20 minutes. Stir the nuts and spread in a single layer.
- Bake another 20 minutes until they are slightly brown. They will still be sticky.
- Cool the nuts on the sheet pan . They will dry while they cool.
- Store them in a sealed container. Nuts will keep for several weeks.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite nuts or use a mixture of nuts. Walnuts would work well.
- It is important to cover the pecans completely with the egg white mixture.
- If you like pecans that are spicy, add more cayenne pepper.
- Be sure to bake the nuts in a 300°F oven. Do not bake them at a higher temperature or they will burn.
- Be sure to let the nuts cool completely.