Looking for a healthy and flavorful side dish? This Kale and Red Cabbage Slaw recipe is the perfect way to add color and nutrients to your meal.
- 6 ounces (1 bunch) Lacinato Kale (4 cups shredded) also known as dinosaur or Tuscan kale
- 6 ounces (1/2 a small head) red cabbage, core removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove the leaves by holding the bottom part of the stem with one hand and pulling the leaves down the stem.
- Stack the kale leaves on top of each other and cut the leaves into very thin slices.
- Place the shredded kale in the basket of a salad spinner. Rinse the kale with cold water and spin it dry. Note: If you do not have a salad spinner, thoroughly wash the kale leaves and dry them with a paper or cloth towel. Then stack the leaves and cut them into thin slices.
- Rinse the cabbage under cold running water. Slice it into thin slices.
- Place the kale and cabbage in a bowl. You can combine the salad in the bowl that you plan to serve it in.
- Make the dressing. Add the oil to the lemon juice. Add the salt to the lemon juice and oil. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the dressing on the kale and cabbage. Toss to combine.
- Make parmesan curls using a vegetable peeler.
- Toss and enjoy!
- Be sure not to use the stems in the salad. They are tough and do not taste good.
- Let the salad sit for 30 minutes or so. This will soften the kale and allows the flavors to mellow.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 94
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 609 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Kale, Red Cabbage, Lemon Vinaigrette, Kale and Red Cabbage Salad, Kale and Red Cabbage Slaw