This easy egg and cheese casserole is perfect for a special occasion or weekend brunch. Make it in one bowl in under 10 minutes. Serve the dish with fruit salad, freshly baked breakfast bread, and great coffee and you have a scrumptious brunch that everyone will love.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) small curd cottage cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 8-ounces Monterrey Jack Cheese (Not pre-shredded. See note below).
- 1 4-ounce can dice mild chiles
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch casserole pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the cottage cheese in a stand or hand mixer with either the whisk or paddle attachment, and beat on high for about 3 minutes to break up the curds.
- Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add slightly cooled melted butter, Monterrey Jack cheese, diced green chiles, flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake about 35 minutes until the center is firm and when a toothpick is inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting it into squares. Serve plain or topped with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, or cilantro.
Don't use pre-grated cheese because it has stabilizers in it that prevent the cheese from melting in this dish.
Keywords: #brunch, #breakfast casserole, #breakfast