This hearty Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili is prepared in less than 30 minutes. It is healthy and packed with plenty of flavors. Make it for an easy and filling weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, if you use table salt, only use 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less if you do not like spice, use up to 1 teaspoon for a spicy chili)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Heat olive oil over high heat in a large, heavy pot. Add the ground turkey and diced onions. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.
- Add the chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to blend and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato sauce, 20 ounces (2 1/2 cans) of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pinto beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve chili in bowls topped with any of your favorite toppings. See notes.
Suggested toppings for the chili
- Sour Cream, or for a healthier option, try Greek yogurt.
- Shredded cheese. Good choices are Cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterrey Jack, or for additional kick, try Pepper Jack.
- Diced white or yellow onions
- Sliced green onions
- Diced avocado
- Sliced jalapeno
- Minced cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 527.2 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 19.7 g
- Cholesterol: 52.2 mg
Keywords: Turkey, chili, turkey chili and pinto beans, healthy